As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
The Interdenominational Theological Center coordinated a survey of African American churches and found that Black churches reach out to the community in “addressing social needs, such as assistance to families, youth programs, food distribution and other outreach services.”
What was of interest is that the survey confirmed the presuppositions of some of those who presented the survey, namely that the Black church emphasizes the community aspect of Christianity more than other traditions.
One thing that might interest preachers is that the pastors reported that their sermons addressed the following:
- God’s love and care Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 83 percent
- Personal spiritual growth Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 74 percent
- Practical advice for daily living Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 66 percent
- Social justice Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 26 percent
- References to racial situations in society Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 17 percent
- References to black liberation theology or womanist theology Ã¢â‚¬â€œ 12 percent
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.